Monday, May 31, 2010

1991



Water is fluid, soft, and yielding. But water will wear away rock, which is rigid and cannot yield. As a rule, whatever is fluid, soft, and yielding will overcome whatever is rigid and hard. That which is soft is strong.

- Lao-Tzu (600 B.C.)

1991 was the last time I was anywhere near a canoe...I was at Algonquin Park and the canoe was used for storage, so our canoe training at Kelso was another "Amy in the headlights" moment for me (- very similar to our mountain bike training.) The weather was outstanding. I love, love , love the heat. I rarely get a chance to spend time outdoors when it is smokin' hot because I always have the total pleasure of being with my awesome, beautiful daughter and she is, understandably, not a lover of the heat. I am also completely amazed by the water. Water is a magnet for my imagination, for conscious pondering and subconscious dreams, thrills, and fears. I can stare into moving water and be completely captivated much like when when gazing into a camp fire,  so,  being taught the safe and effective ways to move across the water in a canoe was phenomenal. I also was able to spend the afternoon and make memories with Shannon...who is one wicked chick! We paddled from one end of Kelso to the other, learned to turn our boat without "taking the scenic route " and battled head to head with the other girls in a few friendly competitions. All so good!
I watched the canoeing video today...every time I watch a new weeks training video I sit with my daughter and we watch it together. I explain every little detail to her , tell her who is who and we discuss the importance of safety, team work and make tons plans for the future when she is a little bit older to try all of these wicked disciplines together. After we watched the video from yesterday, she looked up at me with her pure and innocent hazel eyes and said..."I'm so proud of you Mommy"...so even if I don't win this contest...believe me I've already won!
                                            I love you Izzy!

3 comments:

  1. Loving the picture of your daughter!!!

    P.S.> It was a gorgeous day for "scenic routes" :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kids are amazing! They express their honest feelings in every word they speak! Your daughter will be so proud of you for taking on this challenge - being healthier and happier! It's becoming more fun every week as we all get to know each other better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. brought tears to my eyes Amy! We can only hope to be the hero our kids see us as.

    ReplyDelete